Hand signed and numbered by William S. Phillips|
From a 2000 sold out limited edition
Image size: 29" x 16 ½"
In 1944, after D-Day, the 343rd Fighter Squadron of the 55th Fighter Group transitioned from the P-38 Lightning to North American P-51 Mustangs. With its extended range, the Mustang afforded the 343rd the capability of escorting 8th Air Force bombers to the target and back. The squadron saw action against ground targets during the Battle of the Bulge in the winter of 1944-45. Two of the fighters are shown in loose trail formation streaking past a hilltop castle fortress that that, as a symbol of Teutonic might, dominated the German countryside. Now, softened in the glow of low-cast sunlight and guarding peaceful sunlit fields, the castle symbolizes home for a better future.